Thursday, October 18, 2007

Flex2:TFS with MySQL for OSX

Here I am, having a lot of fun working through the "Adobe Flex 2:Training from the Source" book. Some of it is a bit of a rehash for me since I've been dabbling with flex for some time, but I like the way the book takes you through pretty much one application all the way through. It helps build continuity as you work and you get to see the thing take shape. Much better than the little code snippets you get in a lot of books when you're trying to learn a new technology. Those work better when the book turns into a reference.

So here I am, about two thirds of the way through the book, getting ready for the really good bits, when the book goes all Microsfty on me. I have to install cf on windows and hook it up to an access database. Well, I'll have none of that. So I took a few hours today to build a script that would do the same job in MySQL. You can get it from my share, as well as a script to drop everything and start over. The only thing you have to know from here is that I named the schema

flex2tfs


I haven't had a chance to work with it yet, so it may be full of bugs.

You need to name your ColdFusion data source flex2.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this together. In the next version of the book, we hope to have CF, ASP, JSP and PHP versions of the app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Thanks for your work. This is great.

    I am going to link to this post from the www.flexgrocer.com site.

    -Labriola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's great to hear about the next version. I'm going to give the rest of the current version a shot on my mac with cf. If I can get it working, I'll post a few notes here about what I did.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An error has occurred
    "The document you have requested is being migrated to the new integrated storage system and is not available at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. The document will be available when the migration is complete"

    What's this silliness? How long is it supposed to last? Care to post another (more, er, reliable) link, Mike? TIA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those files don't exist any more. I guess this is what we call software rot. Those files were for flex 2, though and we're looking at flex 4 now. I doubt I will be investing any time in rebuilding them now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I don't know if we're really looking at Flex 4 already, in the sense that the 'Training From The Source' book is probably not going to be out for some months. And the Flex 3 app was not a big a leap from the Flex 2 version (it used the same flex2.mdb Access database). But point well taken! I will slough though, see if I can't figure this ColdFusion shit out.

    ReplyDelete