Monday, February 12, 2007

Running CF on Intel Macs

Running ColdFusion on the intel based Macs is currently not supported by Adobe. There are, however many people reporting success in getting this to work. The definitive guide to help you step through the process can be found at webmages.com. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, and I'm not sure I will. There are a few REALLY large downloads you have to get. I think the Apple developer tools is in the neighborhood of a 1Gig download.

As far as I can tell, you pretty much have no chance of an OS X version of Microsoft SQL appearing anytime soon/ever. That means that if you want to try to run it, you're going to have to use something like Parallels to run Windows on your mac. If you're going to the trouble of setting up Parallels to run windows/SQL, why not run CF, too. Is there a problem with that approach that's not obvious?

9 comments:

  1. The developer kit should be included on your OS X CD/DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thats handy to know. I'll have to dig around on there a little more. I didn't even think of looking there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problems at all with CF and MSSQL running under parallels. That is my dev environment with CFE on the mac. Only thing I have to do to be able to use projects in CFE on the Windows machine is to apple-K in the finder to map a samba drive from the windows VM.

    All works great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on, Peter. That's what I was hoping to hear. Now, if only I can find someone that's looking for a windows version of FlexBuilder...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about this situation:

    Mac PPC hardware running Gentoo (existing server farm so OSX is a no-go)! Any ideas how to get ColdFusion going on this setup?

    I am assuming the answer would be no! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have assumed correctly. This is my first mac.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was running this was before I got cfmx running on my mactel. It's worth the effort; the performance gains were more than noticable.

    Did you have to stick with MSSQL? MySQL etc not an option?

    D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been working with the new key management and encryption capabilities that are available in sql2005. That, and the fact that I'm very comfortable with transact-sql and the sql tools is what has pushed me toward still using mssql. I don't really know what the options are for databases on the mac yet, so maybe there is something out there that can do what I need and make me feel comfortable with the tools right away.

    One option might be to run sql on an intel box and use one of the native mac toolboxes to connect to it. I hesitate to do that because it means I'm tied to the network on my project. I can't just pick up the laptop and go show somebody what I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's an article on another way to go about getting ColdFusion running on an Intel OS X machine...

    http://www.cfinternals.org/blog/2007/05/deploying_coldf.html

    ReplyDelete