Thursday, January 19, 2006

CF hiring market heating up?

I'm generally not in favor of business combinations that diminish the number of participants in the competitive landscape. The acquisition of Macromedia by Adobe was no exception for me. I was pretty strongly against it from the beginning since I saw little benefit from the merger for the customer base of both companies. I'm sure that most businesses that had a desire to use the products of both companies already had relationships with each of them.

I also feel that most mergers of this type generally involve sacrificing some talented people in the quest to eliminate redundancies; a genuinely unpleasant situation for you if you happen to be one of those made redundant. Lack of competition generally leads to increases in pricing for products that loose competitors to the detriment of customers.

Over the last month, however, I've personally noticed a sharp increase in the demand for people with ColdFusion skills. Is it possible that Adobe really DID bring something to the table for Macromedia customers? Could it be that the simple recognition of Macromedia by an enterprise class vendor like Adobe as an acquisition target raises the profile of Macromedia technologies in the eyes of enterprise decision makers? I certainly hope so. If that is the case, I can only see that as a win/win/win for Adobe/Macromedia/combined talent base.

There are certainly lots of other factors that could contribute to the situation including time of year, pent up demand from the merger uncertainty, general economic outlook, maturity of technologies, etc. ad infinitum. My experience is purely anecdotal, so it could easily vanish like a wisp of smoke. Until it does, though, I guess all I can say is "cheers to 2006" and mark this as yet another instance where I was completely wrong (crap).

Given the choice between higher earning potential and being able to say I was right, I don't really have to think to hard about it. Feel free to call me stupid if you want to back it up with a check .

Anyone else noticing a change?

1 comment:

  1. I have definitely seen the same thing in SoCal. I don't know if it is Adobe or not, but the market is heating up fast.

    ReplyDelete