Thursday, October 13, 2005

Call to action: The demise of CSS hacks and broken pages

Steve Bryant's post led me to this amusing blog entry: Call to action: The demise of CSS hacks and broken pages.

I've been lucky enough to avoid using almost all IE CSS hacks to date. I probably have a few out there that I will hear about eventually. Normally I just switch out the entire .css page on a browser detect. In some cases, I haven't even had to do that.

For anything I do for myself, where I really don't care about supporting the masses, I just let the IE crowd deal with it. I don't even bother to look at that work in IE, it's not worth the effort.

I remember when there were lots of sites that would only work with IE. They would have a little link that would let you go download the browser for free. That was a lot of fun.

I think it would be funny to start a lot of sensationalistic websites that would not display anything other than a link to mozilla.org if visited with IE. How about these for a few headlines (none of which are real stoies, btw):
  • Firefox users found to have higher IQs than Internet Explorer users
  • George Bush seen using cocaine in college photos
  • Egyptian-like pyramids found under the surface of Mars.
Any others? Anybody actually doing it?

3 comments:

  1. I agree totaly
    You seem to know what you're talking about so I thought maybe you could help me.
    I'm trying to make a liquide layout with the least hacks as possible.
    I have a mac and so IE 5.2,my page looks fucked up.
    Could you, if you have time see if you see something I could do?
    It's here:http://ycc2106.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tought you weren't supposed to hide the blogger bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry ycc,

    I don't have a Mac, IE 5.2 or any sense of what you would like your page to look like. I think you'll wind up like the rest of us, just trying things through trial and error and lots of testing and head scratching.

    As far as the blogger bar, when I signed up, it was an option. You could turn it on and off with a check box. I see now that they don't make it easy to get rid of, but I wasn't able to find anything in their terms of service that required it.

    I don't think Blogger is really worried about my little blog not having the bar. I still have their search implemented with is how they deliver ads. Other than that, I can't imagine that they really give a hoot.

    ReplyDelete