Monday, May 16, 2005

Drunk on the job

While you lucky people in CA have been able to have your favorite boutique wine shipped directly to your home, we poor drunks in states like Maryland and Minnesota have had to trudge down to the local wine shop to get our spirits. In many cases, we couldn't get a vintage from a small winery that didn't have a huge marketing deal with a national distributor.

I guess all that has changed now. Which is great! I've done some of my best creative CF work a little tipsy. Well, at least I think I have until it wears off and I look at the code again. (Doh!)

Generally good news for the small vineyards and adventurous consumers with discriminating palettes

ABC News: Court Strikes Down Ban on Wine Shipments

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the prohibition is ended, but I'm curious how the-powers-that-be enforced it at the time... I'd guess they had the US Postal Service keyed up to look for wine-like packages, but could they have gotten UPS, FedEx, DHL and the others to confiscate forbidden materials too? Or did they instead try to sting wine dealers into shipping to a region with such prohibition? How did they enforce this prohibition...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how they enforced it. I know that UPS won't ship wine to certain states. I think the states threaten the wineries with huge fines or removal of distribution licenses altogether. Wine.com won't ship to states that have laws prohibiting importation.

    Unfortunately, the court case may not have the desited effect. The decision only made it illegal to have a differnce between in-state and intra-state shipping do the consumer. At least one state (in the northeast somewhere) has decided to prohibit all shipments to consumers.

    The prohibiting states assert that they will be unable to collect tax revenue on imported wine. I think it's more likely the wholesalers in those states exercising some lobbying muscle.

    ReplyDelete