I have a short laundry list of enhancements that I would like to see in DW that I have submitted to the wish list over the years.
One feature that would be great to add to both DWMX04 and FlashMX04 would be to prevent typing in any file that is read only or not checked out.
Here's what happens to us occasionally.
- One of your co-workers edits a page and checks it into source control.
- At some later date, you open the page just to see what is in it while you are working on something else.
- You realize after review that you would like to make some changes, but you've forgotten that you don't have the file checked out and are looking at an old file on your local machine.
- After you've made a bunch of changes you go to save it and realize that you can't.
- All too often, this is what happens next. You hit ctrl-a to select the content of the file you've just edited. Then you do a ctrl-c to copy the file to the clipboard.
- Next you check the file out (and don't realize the DW/Flash just did a get latest replacing your old file on your local drive).
- Ctrl-a again and then ctrl-v to paste your changes on top of the just checked out file. What you may not realize is that you just replaced your co-workers edits on the file.
- You save the file and check it back in.
- Your co-worker's changes are now removed from the code repository and relegated to history. Grrr...
I've seen this behavior in some other editor, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Is there some other Macromedia product or a prior version that worked this way?