Thursday, March 03, 2005

Flash Player7 w/ Y! WTF?!

Flash Player Download. <--- Visit this link with IE. Firefox is "immune".

WHAT IS MM THINKING? We're out here, busy trying to sell Flash as an application platform and Macromedia is bundling the Yahoo toolbar with the player? What's next, Gator?

Ok, so maybe that's a little over the top. But, this deal should have been struck the other direction. I don't think there would be any problem if Yahoo! bundled the latest flash player. It would be even better if the Yahoo! toolbar was a cool Flash app.

I think this move potentially undermines the (limited) headway that Flash is beginning to make in the enterprise space. I think I can actually hear the din of panic from network admins across the nation freaking out when they realize they just reluctantly installed Flash and this "bundled" think came along for the ride. "See! I TOLD you we should have never trusted Flash. Look how much it's going to cost us to uninstall and remove this thing."

But, you don't have to install the toolbar, you say. Well, I think there are a lot of admins out there with a huge predisposition against Flash. This just gives them the amunition they need to kill it in the organization (and Breeze, and Flex, and CFMX7 flash forms).

Can I have the guy's/gal's job that gets fired for making this deal? Just kidding. (but not really.)

3 comments:

  1. Hi there... first off, I'm glad you care about this stuff.... ;-)

    "and Macromedia is bundling the Yahoo toolbar with the player?" It's not bundled. People who visit the Macromedia website for a Flash Player while in IE (that minority who don't use the normal background ActiveX process) will see a checkbox asking if they'd also like to get Yahoo Toolbar.

    I suspect that as you check into the discussion more, then things will look better. But if you ever do hear of a negative comment from an IT staffer or client, then I'd greatly appreciate an alert on that, thanks. (Pithy saying: "Things have got to work for all concerned, or they don't really work at all.")

    Regards,
    John Dowdell
    Macromedia Support

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate yahoo. My kid's have installed the stupid tool bar three times...by accident. I hate Yahoo's toolbar. It is hard to believe mm would want to associate with such an intrusive "applet". I hope they change direction soon.

    Mark Fuqua

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting John. I don't envy your position of having to do dammage control on this issue. I think from discussions like these that the general consensus is one of disapproval.

    I'm circulating a poll to my current IT group that I'll be sure to pass along to you.

    ReplyDelete